Wednesday, March 2, 2011

What's the Story?


You know the old saying, "A picture is worth a thousand words." Well I've often wondered about that. I've seen photos that have left me speechless. No words come to mind that can communicate the power or drama expressed in some photographs. I figure those images are worth more than any number of words.

And there are images that seemingly tell a story, but what exactly that story is isn't always clear. The image above is a good example. What's the story here? I was there, I know what time it was, I know where it was, I know what happened just before and just after I snapped the shutter. I could tell you the story. But what story is this image telling by itself?

That's the real power of photography. It's not just about telling the truth or exposing the lies. It's about speaking a visual language that transcends all verbal communication. That's the power we wield when we pick up a camera. It's also the responsibility we bear as photographers.

Photo: ©2010 David W. Sumner

1 comment:

bluemonk said...

Brilliant composition, as well.