Tuesday, June 25, 2013

A Daily Dose: June 25, 2013


This image is from a project I've been working on for most of this year. Its working title is, "Through the Bus Window."

I've spent the last 22 years living in San Francisco without a car. I ride the streetcars and buses where ever I need to go. There's a lot to see out the windows of the buses and streetcars. 

I realized this year that mostly what I see through the windows of the public transit vehicles is a population of individuals who go about their daily lives, moving through the streets, going from place to place, expending great amounts of energy to keep themselves and their families sheltered and clothed and fed. They work, they shop, they care for their kids and their elders. They're on the streets, in the buses and streetcars, taking care of business. They are the working class. They are the glue that holds our society together.

The next time you ride a bus take a look and let me know what you see.

Photo: ©2013 David W. Sumner

No comments: