Sunday, May 18, 2008

I Have A Dream



I have a dream...

This is what it would take to get me into digital photography:

An FM2 body with an FX sensor. Same center-weighted meter, same shutter speed and ISO dial. An electronic shutter release like the F3 that also recycles the shutter as in the current DSLRs. The F mount that will accept all AI, AIS and Non-AI lenses.

A manual DSLR with no elaborate controls and settings. Aperture, shutter speed, focus, all manual. The sensor is permanently set on auto white balance. There is no viewing screen on the back of the camera. Image composition and exposure settings are viewed through the FM2 type view finder.

This would be exciting and I believe entice many long time Nikon film shooters, like myself, to invest in digital photography. I want to use all my wonderful Nikkor lenses with a simple manual operating digital body that is as rugged and reliable as the Nikons I've been shooting for the past 30 years.

I know this is possible and I know that a product like this could retail for about $600.00, USD.

A camera like this would be a great gift to the millions of loyal Nikon shooters around the world. If Leica can make a digital M, Nikon can make a digital FM2, and do a better job of it.

I may be dreaming, but I know this can be done.



No comments: